Monday 13 February 2017

Pre-Match Thoughts - Shrewsbury Town

After suffering heart break in the dying moments on Saturday, the Posh are straight back in action, in a bid to get back to winning ways (again).

Posh

I imagine Leo Da Silva Lopes will be back in contention to at least make the bench after being rested on Saturday, whilst Paul Taylor may or may not return to the fold. Grant McCann has a decision to make regarding who drops out of the squad, if anyone, as we have so many midfield options at the moment.

If I was Grant McCann, I'd be considering dropping Brad Inman back to the bench for tomorrows game, and I'd probably recall Chris Forrester to the starting line up. Inman did OK in spells but didn't have any kind of influence going forward, and at times didn't look like he wanted to get involved too much.

Jack Baldwin will probably be in with a chance of returning to the line up after making the bench on Saturday. I would expect Dominic Ball to continue alongside Ryan Tafazolli for now, though.

Again there is question marks over the options up front. Craig Mackail-Smith was full of running but didn't get any real clear cut chances to score against Sheffield United, but I hope he keeps his place in the line up. McCann then has Tom Nichols, Junior Morias all vying for the other forward position, and it's tough to guess who he's going to start with from one week to the next. I think he'll stick with Nichols, although I'd consider Angol, just to see if the 'big man, little man' combination of Angol and CMS would work.

My predicted line up (click image to enlarge): 


Subs: Tyler, Hughes, Baldwin, Da Silva Lopes, Samuelsen, Morias, Angol


Shrewsbury

The Shrews picked up Freddie Ladapo on loan from Crystal Palace a few weeks ago, and he's settled right in as one of the main men in their attack. My Oldham supporting friend informs me that he was completely incapable of scoring during a loan spell at the Latics, but he's definitely found his feet at Greenhous Meadow so far. He's definitely one I'd expect Tafazolli to be keeping an eye on, and that could be one of the pivotal battles as Posh go in search of three points.

Another striker Posh may need to keep an eye on, if he's in the Shrews squad, is Stephen Humphrys. I had the chance to watch the on loan Fulham front man in a game between the Fulham U23's v West Ham U23's and he was very impressive. He netted twice on that day in a 4-1 win, against a West Ham team which included our very own Martin Samuelsen.

On paper, Posh have by far the better squad, but Paul Hurst's side travel to the ABAX in good form, and in high spirits. They haven't lost in their last six League One fixtures, so Posh need to be wary of their Shropshire opponents.

The Shrews went to Scunthorpe's Glanford Park on Saturday and left with all three points and a clean sheet intact, so they certainly won't be worried about the prospect of playing an inconsistent Posh team.

Prediction: Posh 3-1 Shrewsbury - I'm putting my neck on the line on this one, especially with the Shrews being in such good form. However I thought we played relatively well on Saturday, and if we can play like that, but with more of a cutting edge against Shrewsbury, I think we'll be just fine (I hope).

Follow me on Twitter: @TomLea_


No comments:

Post a Comment